Instapics

Friday, January 9, 2015

Nam Nam @ Plaza Singapura

Was always a fan of Thai cuisine but was never really into Vietnamese food, maybe cause there's too much vegetables in them and I just don't really fancy that. However, went to Plaza Singapura and decided to try out the infamous Nam Nam Noodle Bar.

There was no queue when I went, it was about 6+ if I'm not wrong. I've never been to Vietnam but I guess it kinda feel like Vietnam because of the small tables and the deco around us. 
The sauces provided at every table, different kind of sauce to help enhance the flavour of the dishes!

Fruit cocktail, pineapple, jackfruit, lychee, crushed ice ($4.90) - The first thing I noticed was the 'straw' provided in the drink, it was made of bamboo I think, so I pointed out that we shouldn't use it cause it quite fibrous which means it absorbs moisture which means if they reuse this, we may be drinking from someone's saliva or something. I didn't try the drink but heard that it isn't good.

Salad of crunchy pickled vegetables, fish cake, pork belly, peanuts ($5.90) + Prawn and sesame rice crackers ($3.90) - This was the best dish of the day which says a lot about the whole meal. I love the pickled vegetables because it tangy and nicely flavoured, crackers was any normal crackers you get anywhere. However, I actually tasted the same pickled vegetables at a Japanese stall at Westgate's food court (it was those side pickles provided in a meal).

Pho steak slices ($8.90) - This was really kinda bland for me so I had to add in lots of chili. The rice noodles is normal, nothing spectacular and beef was just beef. The Thai beef noodles or Kuey Tiao Sukhothai from Thai Express is 100x better, I know that's Thai and this is Viet but yeah, I may be bias towards the Thai flavours.

Quang style egg noodles ($10.90) - The noodles were cooked very nicely, not too soft and still springly. Okay, done with the good points, now for the not so good: the portion was really small, maybe it suits the vietnam ladies with perfect bodies but definitely not the singaporeans who actually wants to be full. There wasn't any special interesting taste, it just taste like salty egg noodles, would rather pay $4 for a bowl of fishball noodles at a hawker centre.


So, I mean it's obvious I don't have a good impression on Nam Nam Noodle Bar but I really can't give a judgement to say if it's good or bad Vietnamese food because I have never been to Vietnam and have never had real authentic Viet food. However I can say that I don't like it and it feels too normal to me, there isn't any spectacular flavour that I can't get anywhere else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment