Instapics

Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Second Prison.

Halfway There


Recently, because of school, I have been exposed to ex-convicts and interacting with them and I have never felt what I am feeling now. Even though I did talk to ex-convicts before but never really got into the details of their life. & there's a difference between those who are already fully away from the past and the ones who are still hanging on thin thread..

Yesterday, we went to Jamiyah Halfway House at Pasir Panjang, frankly speaking, before going there I really wasn't expecting much because I didn't know we were allowed to speak to the residents (convicts staying there), I really thought we were just going there to have a short tour so I didn't prepare anything except for my camera.

However, when we were there, we chatted with the senior social worker and got to know that we can interview the residents and we can actually 'choose' who we want by some criteria.. My friend and I decided to choose the guy who served us coffee & tea.. Why? Because this halfway house is a Muslim house but this guy, he is the only Chinese there. (& I just thought it would have been more fun to interview a Chinese + he looks quite fine la, hee)

My cup of tea - This is the tea that was prepared by our interviewee, not kidding but it was the best, the sweetness was just right & two hours after when the tea was cold, we were all still drinking it, that's when you know it's good.


The Interview
The start of the interview was a little awkward cause we didn't really know what to ask but my friend was damn good at it so all I had to do was look and smile. As the interview went on, it slowly became more than just an interview, it became a normal conversation... like with a friend. There were laughter, there were deep thoughts, there were random topics like karaoke! Have you ever thought you could have a conversation like these in a halfway home?

This guy really left a deep imprint in our mind and heart, the things he said are so deep and inspirational. There were so many quotes from him that I can't even tell you how many, I was so shocked and shaken in the midst of the interview because I can't help thinking why this fine young man was here... all I could think of was I really wanted him to continue to be positive and be successful in the future, I really really want that for him.

How do you know if you are enjoying a conversation? - When you give up having lunch. Asked my friends to go for lunch just to continue talking to the guy because I know we may never see each other again, I would love to but because of the strict rules, we can't. At that time, securing another 10 mins with this person was worth more than going out to eat.

Walking out from the dorm building, in a completely different hairstyle and outfit, I almost couldn't recognize the person I interviewed 30 minutes ago! Waving goodbye as he was walking out the gate, it was amazing seeing how happy he were and I wish he will be as positive and happy in his future because he deserves that...

The Rage
When most people always think that the ex-convicts are the ones to blame for everything, I don't think so, I do not want to think that because I believe even non-convicted people like us, we do bad things too so why are they the first suspect? I can't believe I witness someone shooing us out of the room when the residents were preparing to perform a jam for us. Did you not see them as human? Where is your respect? To you, it may just be a measly jam session but to them, it may be the only time in there where someone is watching them perform and appreciating it.

"Don't forget, they are ex-convicts, you won't know what they would do!" - was what triggered my anger. NO ONE SHOULD EVER SAY SOMETHING LIKE THIS. Especially the person who said it.. Nobody should be condemned for something they repented for... when we say we should give them a second chance, it means we wash away whatever past they have and look at them now. How would you feel if you made a mistake and is finally willing to change but everyone around you keeps doubting you? If everyone keeps using their past as something against them, are we really giving them a chance? NO. We are just pushing them off the freaking cliff, so please, I beg everyone, stop...

If you really want to help them, forget their past.. never jump to conclusion just because they were ex-convicts. This is why people call that the second prison, because even if they are free physically, people around are still restricting them mentally... Being willing to change is one of the hardest thing in life, if someone is willing to do that, shouldn't we be willing to accept their change?


I really wish all those people in the halfway house to stay positive and stay strong because if there's a will, there's a way. Sometimes, you can't rely on anyone to help you, but you can always rely on god.

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven." - Luke 6:37

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment