Instapics

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Table @ PIP's

One fine day, I decided that I am finally sick of eating the same thing everyday so I went online to search for 'places to eat at in Singapore'. After many food blogs and reviews, I stumbled on this one. Reserved a table through Chope & it was fast and easy - the best part, I didn't have to hold an awkward phone conversation with a stranger.

So let's start. Before going there, I've already read reviews about the place and heard that at PIP's, you will be able to get top notch service at a reasonable price and boy, were the review accurate! The service was awesome, the price was very reasonable and the food was - let's see it dish by dish.

Ambience
The place was at a secluded corner located at the basement of Orchard Central so it was quite quiet and cozy.

 Setting
The table setting was quite cool. It was in the middle of a fine dining restaurant and a casual restaurant. With the table mat that shows where each utensils should be placed at and some other cute décor - like the wine list that looks like a floating message in the sea.

Appetizers
Foie Gras ($11.90 / 50g)
Pan seared duck liver served with sautéed onion, sweet glazed apple & raspberry demi-glace 

My second time tasting foie gras - first was at Dining in the Dark. The texture was soft but not as soft as DITD. We couldn't finish this at all because for whatever reason, it was bitter. I don't know if its the liver that's supposed to be bitter or was it too charred. 

 Escargot Bourguignon ($9.9 / 4pcs)
Oven baked brandy snail stuffed in button mushroom coated with garlic butter

This is what dreams are made of! The escargot paired perfectly with the mushroom because the escargot was more on the salty side and the mushroom was a good neutraliser. & I mean, I don't think anything could go wrong with garlic butter. Right? If you have never tried escargot in your life, you should give this a try!

Entrées
Duck Leg Confit ($19.9)
Crispy outside, moist inside duck leg served with sautéed seasonal vegetable, orange demi-glace & mashed potato

Honestly speaking, this wasn't as spectacular as I hoped it would be. The texture of the duck leg is really good but I felt that the flavour was lacking. I am also not a fan of orange so the glace for me was a minus point. However, I really liked the mashed potato! & I would love the duck too - if they provided me with other sauces to choose from.

 Chive Salmon Steak ($20.9)
Salmon steak topped with chive purée served with sautéed leek, chive olive oil & balsamic vinegar reduction

I think that this was a better dish compared to the duck leg confit because the flavour profile was stronger. The chive purée at the top was a nice consistency and for someone who doesn't take chives to compliment it says a lot! Love the chive olive oil and balsamic vinegar - perfect balance of salty and tang but I wish they would have given more.

Dessert
Flowerpot Milo Tiramisu ($11.9)
Milo enriched tiramisu served Pip's way

It does look a little different from the menu (the menu one has flowers on it) but it was still cute. This was not just about looks because it's really not bad! If you look at the 'soil', you can see some yellow things on it - those are actually popping candy! Yes, I thought it will be super weird to pair it with tiramisu but surprisingly, it works! The tiramisu is more towards the milder side - the alcohol taste isn't strong so it's suitable for children too.


Conclusion
I think that I would definitely come back again to try other items because the service was awesome and not to mention the reasonable prices! I think this would be a perfect place for a family dinner or a date with someone because it's nice, cozy and the menu selection is quite wide so it will most probably be able to cater to kids as well as adults.


*I don't know what's wrong with the photos cause they seem really grainy. They looked perfectly fine before uploading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment